Tuesday 26 July 2011

Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie - Review




Book details:
Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Point (7 Aug 2006)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0439951291
ISBN-13: 978-0439951296

Summary:
From first-time novelist Jordan Sonnenblick, this is a brave and beautiful story that will make readers laugh and break their hearts at the same time. When thirteen-year-old Steven's little brother is diagnosed with leukaemia, Steven's world is turned upside down. He is forced to deal with Jeffrey's illness and his parents' attempts to keep the family in one piece. "Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie" is a heart warming journey through a year in the life of a family in crisis.



Rating:
My review:
I’m not gona lie, despite the saying “don’t judge a book by its cover” – I end up doing just that. I still read the blurb but the book has to catch my eye first otherwise I won’t make it to reading the blurb and that’s what happened with this book. Browsing in my school’s book sale, I came across the blue and iced heart cover to this book and was drawn in by the simplicity of the blurb and brought it on impulse – something I’m glad I did ‘cause I loved this book.

Analysis of plot:
The story starts off simple, with the events in the life of a young 13 year old whose life revolves around drum practice, the torture of being a nerd, and a younger brother with whom he shares a love hate relationship. Sonnenblick portrays to us the simple life of Steven, a kid who everyone can relate to – until we see his life turned upside down when his younger brother gets leukaemia. After that, we witness his struggle, his anger, his frustration, jealousy and bravery as he tries to be there for his brother. Its heart warming to see him cope with and get an insight into his younger brother – who at times seems stranger than everyone thank to the innocence which Sonnenblick paints him with. It really will bring tears to your eyes, as there were moment when you realise how much pain there is when a sibling is hurt and suffering and as an older sibling you/re trying to help.

Analysis of characters:
The characters were simple yet they showed us through the narrative the hardship and love that features predominantly in the book. The innocence of Steven’s brother was portrayed in an enviable and courageous way, and Steven’s strength and love for his brother also grew as the novel progressed. You will end up loving both the brothers, it’s inevitable.

Overall:
I loved it, and despite the fact that I never cry over a book, there were moments where I felt like crying ‘cause it hits you where it hurts, right in the heart ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment