Thursday 29 March 2012

A Million Suns - Beth Revis; Review.


Book Details:
Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Puffin (5 April 2012)
ISBN-10: 0141333685
ISBN-13: 978-0141333687

Summary:

Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. It’s been three months. In that time, Amy has learned to hide who she is. Elder is trying to be the leader he’s always wanted to be. But as the ship gets more and more out of control, only one thing is certain: They have to get off the ship.


Links To Buy:


Rating:
Review:
With my many thanks to Razorbill publishers, I shall suprass my insane glee at getng this for review and proceed to tell you about how this book was a mixture of all things great written by Beth Revis. 

I confess, that I've never been much of a fan of sci-fi books, yet something about Across The Universe sucked me right in, and since then, I've avoided giving sci-fi books a wide berth in the hopes I can stumble across more great books like these. Yet I've come to discover that only Beth Revis can create such a tempting storyline, and after the work of excellence that was Across the Universe, she outdoes herself in more ways than one with her second book.

We continue on from where Across The Universe left off, and pick up on the troubles Elder faces as he tries to look after the people who are struggling from being enslaved to Phydus for years. But through this, as we see Elder struggle, we also get to see further development of his character, and how from being an uncertain, and at times, backless creature, to someone who is sure of who he is and what he is doing. It's always nice when you see a character grow a strong pair of balls :)

Having said that, we also see the development of Amy and I adored her much more in this novel than the previous as we see her do something which a lot of character lack when it comes to romance. She questions whether or not she truly loves Elder gasp - *shock, horror!* But this gentle probing of her feelings is a welcome change, as it shows us her mentality, her rationality, in deciding if it really can be love when it seems like she has no other choice. I approve, I approve *nods head*. Add in the fact that their friendship grew and with both Amy and Elder facing character analysis of their own, I must admit, I was truly pleased with Revi's actions and decisions with her characters.

Moving on to the flesh of the story, I will say it was a fast paced ride all along - with a sense of urgency and tingly feel of danger mixed in - which always makes for a good read. As a reader, I felt like I was seeing things through the characters eyes and attempting to help them make sense and decipher the issues in the novel. It's always nice feeling involved ;) But I like how Revis brought forth the problems that were plaguing the characters and attempting to answer all the questions that were left hanging. Yet, while at the end, we do discover some shocking news *which for fear of spoiling, I shan't mention* I just have a slight feeling that the ending could have been a little better and more thought through. 

However, given the detail of events, the characters, the pace, the action and revelations, it overshadows any small doubts I had about this book as at the end of it all, truth is, I couldn't put the book down. Through a mixture of beautiful writing, heartfelt portray of emotions and a story like this, Revis couldn't have done any wrong and it takes skill to execute such a story without making it seem bogus and too much of a fantasy tale. 
For that, I highly approve of this second book and can't wait to see where the journey takes us on Revis' next instalment :)
________________

Also, be sure to check out Beth Revis answering some questions for an interview on the blog, click the link here to take you to the page :)

No comments:

Post a Comment