Monday 2 January 2017

Behind Closed Doors - B A Paris; Review


Book Details:
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: HQ (11th Feb 2016)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1848454120
ISBN-13: 978-1848454125

Summary:
Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace: he has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realise Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love.

Picture this: a dinner party at their perfect home, the conversation and wine flowing. They appear to be in their element while entertaining. And Grace's friends are eager to reciprocate with lunch the following week. Grace wants to go, but knows she never will. Her friends call—so why doesn't Grace ever answer the phone? And how can she cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim?

And why are there bars on one of the bedroom windows?

The perfect marriage? Or the perfect lie?

Links To Buy:




Rating:
Review:

Bringing another one of my 2016 favourites to the blog today - this time a psychological thriller. These books have been all the rage since The Girl On The Train (or at least it feels like that to me) and this genre has seen a definite spike. Especially at HQ, HarperCollins where I work! 

The author, B A Paris was publishing her new book, The Breakdown, and we had just received proof copies in the office. As I was seen admiring the cover, my lovely colleague handed me the first book, Behind Closed Doors, as asked if I had read it? I had not, and took the book, thinking I’ll read it later. I flipped a few pages and found myself starting to read it at my desk - before I knew it, it was home time and I was on a packed train, trying to finish this book off while simultaneously trying not to fall sideways on my fellow passengers. 

The thing about this book is, that it pretty much reveals the plot twist in the first few chapters, or you can probably already guess at it from the blurb. But what you won’t be prepared for, is how despite the twist being given away so early on, the race to the finish is even more intense, fast paced, and gloriously delicious. The way this story unfolds is brilliant, and so wonderfully done that I literally couldn’t put it down. You think to yourself (or at least I do, as someone who has a degree in criminology and a serial killer fanatic) that you’ve read plenty of dark things - but this story, the plot, though not horrifically gory, still gives you that “WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUUUU” feeling. There were two exact points at which I stopped in the book and thought to myself, oh my god, WHAT IS THIS?! And that made me love this book even more, for it’s ability to make me think as such. 

The twists and turns as this story unwinds is spectacular and after having read many other thrillers after this, I can say that it felt very unique and the execution was wonderful. The characters were fleshed out perfectly, and you get a great sense of individualism from each one. As for the ending, I felt satisfied and to me at least, there was poetic justice *evil smile to self* though having said that, there were a few clarifications that I would have liked regarding certain aspects and a certain character that just could have been that little bit clearer. 

I’m trying to avoid giving away any spoiler-y things because I honestly think this, like It Ends With Us (the review for which can be found here) it’s best to dive in without any knowledge of what this story will offer you - and that's the best way to enjoy it to its full potential, me thinks. Also, this is not the next Gone Girl. Or the next The Girl On The Train. Nope - this is its own book, Behind Closed Doors. Read it please. Just. Yes. Trust me. But don’t trust George Clooney *knowing nod* you’ll know what I mean soon enough *IF YOU READ THE BOOK*. Okay I’m done, I swear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment