Saturday 13 May 2017

P.S. I Like You - Kasie West; Review


Book Details:
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Point; Reprint edition (25th July 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1338160680
ISBN-13: 978-1338160680

Summary:

Signed, sealed, delivered…

While spacing out in chemistry class, Lily scribbles some of her favorite song lyrics onto her desk. The next day, she finds that someone has continued the lyrics on the desk and added a message to her. Intrigue!

Soon, Lily and her anonymous pen pal are exchanging full-on letters—sharing secrets, recommending bands, and opening up to each other. Lily realizes she’s kind of falling for this letter writer. Only, who is he? As Lily attempts to unravel the mystery and juggle school, friends, crushes, and her crazy family, she discovers that matters of the heart can’t always be spelled out…

Links To Buy:



Rating:
Review: mild spoilers up ahead!

One word - ADORKABLE. Having previously read and loved Kasie Wests’ novel, like On The Fence and The Distance Between Us, The Fill In Boyfriend, I knew what I would get when I picked up PS. I Like You; a cute, funny, adorable read and BINGO, I was right. 

One of the main reasons I love this author and her books, is because of how (for lack of a better word) clean it is; don’t get me wrong, it’s great fun to read books that are detailed and steamy, but it’s also refreshing to read something so simple, no painful innuendos, just a girl and a guy and their feelings. It’s amazing that an author can write something as easy as hand-holding or moments of eye-contact as something that gives me butterflies and induces squueeee-worthy moments. But like I said, that’s what I love about this author and this delivered that on all counts. 

Chemistry - a lesson, let's face it, we alllll despise, suddenly became really interesting for our main character and us when one day, after scrawling on the table *inner nerd in me revolted at this act of vandalism* she comes back to find someone had WRITTEN BACK. Let's all take deep breaths now. As the book progresses, these two form a connection through their note writing; something that starts out as simple as a distraction from that dreaded class, suddenly becomes a chance for them to open up to one another, become friends.. and perhaps more?

I knew the first chapter in, who the mystery note writer was, honestly it just couldn’t BE anyone else - it was so startlingly obvious. I will admit, I was so so sceptical at first about this, because I’m not fond of a guy acting oh so cute and sensitive in mystery notes, only to behave COMPLETELY rudely, horribly and cruelly on an outward level towards the same character, or to everyone really. The old “he teases you because he likes you” really doesn’t apply or shouldn’t apply because at the end of it all, you should’t have any reason to be horrible to anyone, especially to someone you like simply to mask the fact that you do. 

But despite all this, as the book went on, I actually found myself warming to this character and ended up rooting for these two lovebirds with some major fist-pumping. Flawed as it was in my opinion, his logic, the reasons why he behaved the way he did, worked for his character, and for the way he perceived himself and his situation, why he acted the way he did. His true self, was caring, sweet, attentive, misunderstood and really, just craving affection. I loved him for that. 

"So you think I'm hot?" 
"Doesn't every girl?"
It surprised me when his cheeks turned a light shade of pink. I wasn't sure why that embarrassed him in any way. I was positive he already knew it. He ran one hand through his hair. Then he said, almost too quiet for me to hear, "You're not every girl."

I loved Lily’s family dynamic and this was probably one of my favourite things in the book - her family, as crazy as it sounds, was sweet and genuine and as the youngest of 8 siblings myself, I totally get it. Her parents were my fav, with the necklace judging competition to the pie judging competition, they were sweet and loving. Even that damn rabbit with it’s pink eyes was cute, peeing over guys and all included. Crazy as the family was, they were loveable and given the stark contrast it provided to the mystery note-writers dead-beat family, I’m glad Lily appreciated that. 

On to Lily herself, I’m not sure how much I actually liked her character. To me, she seemed somewhat selfish, presumptuous, prone to judging but also complaining about how she was judged herself. But then again, most teens (and even adults) are like this, are they not? I just couldn’t really warm to her character I guess, the same way I did to our mystery guy. Having said that, I loved reading about these two through their notes, both of with were witty and cute. Oh how I wish my high school days included any-note-passing of any kinds with a potentially cute guy. But nope, all we had was chewing gum and other unknown and unidentifiable materials stuck to the bottom of our desks. *shudder* Also, I don’t know why, but I just found this scene so so cute so I’m sharing. 

“We wedged ourselves inside and ********* pulled the door closed behind us, instantly engulfing us in blackness. He must’ve shifted to the left because his foot came down on mine. I breathed air between my teeth.”

“Sorry,” he whispered. “Where are you?”
I was so close to him I could feel his body heat, so I wasn’t sure why he couldn’t tell where I was. I put both hands up, thinking they were going to touch his back, but realized I was touching his chest instead. “Right here.” He placed his hands over mine on his chest. “Now I won’t step on you.”

This book made me laugh, made me smile really hard at the page, and even face palm myself with a resounding NOOOOOoooooOoo during a certain notebook-reading-scene. Though this book can be accused of being cheesy, I totally love it for that element and the feel-good read and sweet romance it provided; and as always, will mean I will continue to pick up more of this authors books. There were some flaws and things I didn’t particularly like in the book, but a 5 star rating for sheer enjoyability. 

“Give me your arm.” I stepped closer to him and after one second realized I had stepped between his knees that were wide on the barstool. It would seem awkward to step back now, like he affected me in some way, so I didn’t. Because he didn’t. 

But his musky scent sure was doing a number on my breathing. I took the bracelet, one end in each hand and tried to attach it around his wrist. Only now my hands seemed shaky.
“You smell good,” he said softly.

I closed my eyes for a moment, my breath catching. “Just hold still.”

No comments:

Post a Comment