Monday 24 November 2014

Wait For You (Wait For You #1) - J Lynn & Jennifer Armentrout; Review

  

Book Details:
Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Harper (15 Aug 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0007530986
ISBN-13: 978-0007530984
Source: Review/Purchase/Gift

Summary:

Some things are worth waiting for…

Traveling thousands of miles from home to enter college is the only way nineteen-year-old Avery Morgansten can escape what happened at the Halloween party five years ago—an event that forever changed her life. All she needs to do is make it to her classes on time, make sure the bracelet on her left wrist stays in place, not draw any attention to herself, and maybe—please God—make a few friends, because surely that would be a nice change of pace. The one thing she didn’t need and never planned on was capturing the attention of the one guy who could shatter the precarious future she’s building for herself.

Some things are worth experiencing…

Cameron Hamilton is six feet and three inches of swoon-worthy hotness, complete with a pair of striking blue eyes and a remarkable ability to make her want things she believed were irrevocably stolen from her. She knows she needs to stay away from him, but Cam is freaking everywhere, with his charm, his witty banter, and that damn dimple that’s just so… so lickable. Getting involved with him is dangerous, but when ignoring the simmering tension that sparks whenever they are around each other becomes impossible, he brings out a side of her she never knew existed.

Some things should never be kept quiet…

But when Avery starts receiving threatening emails and phone calls forcing her to face a past she wants silenced, she’s has no other choice but to acknowledge that someone is refusing to allow her to let go of that night when everything changed. When the devastating truth comes out, will she resurface this time with one less scar? And can Cam be there to help her or will he be dragged down with her?

And some things are worth fighting for…

Links To Buy:




Rating:
Review:

Are you even surprised that I’m back with another contemporary book review? I’m on a contemporary kick right now, but promise to switch it up soon to some different books later on (or not - YOLO) Just kidding. We do only live once. So be safe kids. 

Anyway, after hearing rave reviews about the Wait For You Series by J Lynn and Jennifer Armentrout (that lady is everywhere!) I decided to pick up the first book in the series, Wait For You. The series has been branded New Adult (a finicky new term that’s been introduced recently into the book blogging world) yet personally I’d have to say this book still ventures in the YA category - simply because the content I’ve read is similar to many other YA books - nothing about this shouts New Adult. But then again, my opinion is just one in the vast ocean of opinions. I digress. As always. 

Wait For You is a book about 19 year old Avery - who moves right across the country to get a dose of adult life in college and stay as far away from her parents as she can. Whilst getting aquatinted with college life, she bumps into Cam (oh so literally) on her way to a lecture and thus begins something neither Cam, nor Avery have control over. 

I enjoyed this book, really, I did. But there were parts of this novel where I was like “.. really?” and may have followed this up with an eye roll. I guess that’s the danger of being on a contemporary streak - every hot male character starts looking the same (they all have panty dropping eyes and floppy hair sigh) and though I usually love what my imagination conjures in such instances, I do wish authors would find more interesting variations of hotness. I wouldn’t so much call this a negative thing in the book, but more my own personal gripe that’s entirely down to me. 

There were elements of this book that reminded me of Easy - by Tamara Webber (review for which can be found here by the way) - for instance Avery’s past encounter, meeting a boy in her class (who also liked drawing) as well as Cam’s own dark past. Despite my gripe-y little eye rolls, I did enjoy reading this book, and seeing the relationship between Avery and Cam develop - it had notes of fun, tenderness, and of course, who doesn’t love a playboy hottie turn loyal boyfriend. 

I loved Cam’s best friend and roommate, Ollie (aka Señor Fucktard LOL) and his live-in turtle, Raphael. There were a great array of characters the author introduced us to, and I enjoyed reading about all of them and their college experience (my own nostalgia for university hit me at this point). Despite my own eye-rolls at the cliche and predictable story, it says something about enjoyment given that I read this in one sitting, thanks to the easy writing and flow of the book. By no means an amazing read, but still nice enough to curl up to on a cold night, and by the looks of it, there’s plenty more of their books to choose from, in their Wait For You series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment