Friday 12 September 2014

Sahina's Survival Surplus - Be Prepared; The 5th Wave Style.

With September in full swing, not only does it mean that we tumblr addicts are obsessing over all pumpkin flavoured drinks and “sweater weather” but this also means one other, huge, thing. 3 guesses? Nope? Okay. I’ll tell you, since you’re asking so much! 

It means, there’s only a handful of days left till THE INFINITE SEA IS PUBLISHED. If you’ve been living under a proverbial rock and are not as aware as you should be about this book, it’s the much anticipated sequel to the hugely popular The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. I’m going to be a doll and insert some amazing visual stimuli in the form of HQ posters sent over to me by the lovely and ever amazing people are Penguin. Feast your eyes on those beauties! 

 

Additionally, Sony Pictures have picked up the rights to The 5th Wave and it’s being made into a movie with none other than the epic Chloe Grace Mortex leading the way! (note: she’s the amazing kickass girl from, yep, the movie Kick Ass). 

Now, for all of you who are already begin to fangirl, here’s a short description of the amaze-balls-ness we’re expecting from the new book. I quote: 

The Infinite Sea releases worldwide on 16th September. Slick writing and taut action combine in this epic story of survival against all odds. Last year, the post-apocalyptic world of The 5th Wave left readers gripped, paranoid and crying out for more. Fans will not be disappointed with this relentless sequel, written to tug at your darkest fears…we defy you to read it and not have nightmares. A story that questions what it means to be human, it will leave you exhilarated and terrified in equal measure. Move over zombies – the aliens are here.” 

You hear that? The aliens are here. THE. ALIENS. ARE. HERE

Right well now that the panicking is well on its way, I figured I’d calm things down around camp and whip up a list of essentials that I personally would need in case of an alien invasion and apocalypse. 

Disclaimer: while these items won’t guarantee my safety and survival, they sure as hell will keep me sane (and well fed .. you’ll see). 

______________________________

1. Jaffa Cakes - that’s right, you heard me, my first instinct is to grab a box of Jaffa Cakes, because those gooey centred snacks are exactly what I need to fend of the hunger pangs BEFORE fending off the aliens. Stomach comes 1st guys. Worse comes to worse, I’ll breathe my tangy breath in the aliens face - that outta do the trick. 

2. Carmex. Yep. Chapped lips, are not cool. Anything to keep those blistering dry skin episodes at bay. Also, this stuff can be used offensively. I can’t tell you how I know this, but this stuff burns your eyes. (there may or may not have been an eye poking incident with this on my finger). Moving swiftly on! 

3. A kindle is a must for any bookish human trying to survive invasion and insanity. What more could you want - endless books at the touch of a button, saves you lumping around all your paperbacks. I may or may not have shed a tear at the thought of leaving my Harry Potter collection at home. Sigh. 

4. While I may not be as efficient in wielding a bow and arrow or throwing around bags of flour or disguising myself using baking skills, (I’m looking at you Katniss and Peeta) I still need something sharp to survive. Cue the axe. If it worked for Jack Nicholson in The Shining, it sure as hell (pun intended) will work for me. I can cut down wood, aliens, some more wood, with this beauty. 

5. Keeping it real, I’ve included a water cleaning and drinking device. It’s pretty self explanatory in the picture. Need to keep hydrated if I’m going to be running away from aliens.

6. These baby beauties have come in handy when I’ve ran out of wet wipes and they work a treat. They smell great, clean efficiently, and we all know how important it is to keep clean and and hygienic when camping out in order for human species survival. Don’t let the baby picture on the front fool you - these wipes are badass. (Just ask your Mum). 

7. This fickle item will hopefully come in handy to instagram the remaining vestiges of my life, update my facebook status, tweet about aliens in the area, and browse YouTube when times get boring. 

8. I. Am. Addicted. To. These. Noodles. Possibly the best invention since sliced bread (I went there) I can safely say that I have survived on these noodles alone for almost 8 days straight. If pushed, I’m sure I can survive an apocalypse with these on hand. 

9. “I'll be lounging on the couch, just chillin' in my snuggie, click to MTV, so they can teach me how to dougie”. Bruno Mars was onto something there, when he told us about da snuggie. I’m going to need one of these if I’m to survive out in the real world. It’s going to keep me warm, keep me covered, and keep me happy. 

10. And finally, the 10th item I’d include in my apocalypse/invasion survival kit guide, is the Maurauder’s Map. Needless to say, this nifty little map will come in handy to see where the danger is, and also scope out the best time to nip into Nandos, whilst the aliens are otherwise occupied. 

______________

Now that you’ve seen my list, don’t you go about stealing my ideas okay? If it comes down to it, I’m willing to fight tooth and nail to obtain these items.

Also, just to keep it all bookish, here's one of my favourite quotes from the book; (I know this isn't the favourite just for me though). 

“But if I'm it, the last of my kind, the last page of human history, like hell I'm going to let the story end this way. I may be the last one, but I am the one still standing. I am the one turning to face the faceless hunter in the woods on an abandoned highway. I am the one not running but facing. Because if I am the last one, then I am humanity. And if this is humanity's last war, then I am the battlefield.”

Amazing, I know. I especially get all goosebumps at the last 2 sentences. And. Just another reason why you need to grab a copy of The 5th Wave (which you can buy here, here, and here) and get prepared for the release of Infinite Sea. 

Anyway, that out the way, be sure to comment below or share with me your list of essentials for an invasion and use the tag #BePrepared and #5thWave on all social media sites to see what everyone else is deeming essential and I hope to see you all on the other side of the apocalypse!  

No comments:

Post a Comment