Thursday 11 December 2014

Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) - Sarah J Maas; Review

 


Book Details:
Paperback: 576 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens (11 Sep 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1408839121
ISBN-13: 978-1408839126
Source: Review/Purchased/Gift

Summary:

Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy. 

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love? 

Links To Buy:




Rating:
Review

Of course, this review was to be expected, given in barely the start of my review of the second book, I as already reaching for the 3rd instalment.

Can I also, in my shell-shocked state, just add that I didn’t KNOW THAT BOOK 3 WASN’T THE END AND THERE WERE 3 MORE BOOKS TO COME?! Like a fool, a fool I tell you, I was nearing the end of book 3, thinking how dafuqq is this gna level out in the last 50 pages - turns out I was jus hurtling towards more pain and anguish than I bargained for, ffs. 

ANYWAY. Blasphemy aside, on with the review. As hard as it is to keep coherency (or spelling mistakes at bay) I will try to write a review that will land on sane ears. But be warned, I’m typing this review frantically, as barely 5 minutes after finishing the 3rd book, I was opening my macbook to spew my thoughts. 

ANYWAY. ANYWAY. (That’s twice, I know). Upon finishing book 1 (the review for which can be found here) I wasn’t impressed as I would have liked. Upon finishing book 2, (the review for which can be shamelessly found here) I was like HOLY BALLS, WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT, ME GUSTA. And today.. upon finishing book review (the review for which you are already on - see what I did there, heh? No? Fine) I am in about 67 levels of pain. Warning - unintended spoilers ahead, because I need to talk about the plot of the book in order to properly review it. 

Heir of Fire is still a vast improvement from book 1 and the writing is more fluid and a treat to read. Though book 2 is my favourite of the 3 I’ve read, this is still a force to be reckoned with as it brings together many plot lines and introduces new ones which I can’t wait to see spanning out. 
Dorian’s character is still one of the best improvements and one which I adored seeing - he’s turning out to be such a fierce, loyal and charismatic character who I believe will be doing even greater things in the coming books. 

Sadly, the same couldn’t be said for Chaol in this book. I loved him in book 1 and 2, yet though it pains me to say this, in this book he let me down - where he should have been showing strength and loyalty, he was indecisive and refused to take a stand (until the end that is but still). I expected more from Chaol, but with more books to go, I’m guessing he’s going to take a turn for the better. 

The more I read about Celaena, the more I’m like “sheesh, what a badass” and she just goes from strength to strength. After learning more of her backstory and the flashback about her family and her powers, the more I’ve come to admire her and where she has come from. Her whole present is shaped by her past and the way the author revealed bits about her past, I kid you not, it felt worthy of a horror movie. I was mentally thinking “shit shit shit shit it’s gna get worse” as the story unfolded. Props again, to the vastly improved and now wonderful writing. There were a few scenes, of which this stands out the most - where Celaena and Rowan are guarding the city, and Celaena is standing (at what I imagine was the LoTR setting in the final battle on the wall) and she’s shot out the biggest and bad-ass-est wall to protect all these people. It reminded me fondly of Fantastic Four and the forcefield). Just a wonderful piece of writing.  

On the downside, there were aspects of the storylines that I didn’t enjoy, and will admit that the plot about the witches wasn’t captivating enough for me. *shameful face* I did skip parts of those sections, and the bits that I did read with Manon and Abraxos, for some reason, reminded me of How To Train Your Dragon and the bond between Nightyfury and Hiccup. I will need to backtrack at some point I’m sure, to make sure that I understand the plotlines in that thread because the witches are surely going to make more appearances in the upcoming books but sadly their parts just felt really dry to me. 

Other than that, it was a brilliant book and I’m so pissed that we have to wait till next year for the next book *thumps fist* WHY OH WHY. This is the problem with starting great series without realising that the next books aren’t even out yet. It hurts your heart and soul…

ANYWAY. Be sure to check out review for book 1 and 2 here and here

1 comment:

  1. Heir of Fire is great. Although it is not as action packed as the previous book, it is still amazing. It is all about the growth of Celaena(Aelin) as she learns about her powers. My favorite part of the book: ROWAN. He is by far the best character!

    ReplyDelete